A lot of horses come to us directly off the track – some with injuries, others who were not fast enough or have broken down. Most need to have vet treatment and then a long spell, before they can be assessed for re-homing. Successful ex-racehorses can be found in all disciplines – sometimes even at the Olympics!
It’s our ultimate aim to rehabilitate our beautiful Off the Track horses and find them homes where they can have long and happy lives as riding horses.
Benny (Our Edge) was surrendered to us off the track with tendon injuries. Following rehabilitation and retraining, he was rehomed and excelled in the show ring in Thoroughbred and ANSA led classes. Unfortunately his new owner suffered a non-horse related injury which forced her to give up horses and Benny was returned to SAHA for rehoming. Benny was again rehomed, but this time to a young girl named Layla, who is loving Benny and his performances in dressage and hack competition.
Max (Casting) came to us in 2015 and after rehabilitation and retraining was rehomed a year later. Max and his new owner, Steph, are enjoying terrific success in eventing and their coach believes Max has the potential to become a 1* eventing horse!
Becoming a sponsor offers you the opportunity to change the life of a horse. Your monthly support is completely tax deductible and helps cover the costs to rehabilitate and retrain a former racehorse or pacer.
How your sponsorship helps:-
- A Full Sponsorship pays for all the basic needs of your horse – feed, hay, farrier, basic vet care and grooming – $200/month;
- A Half Sponsorship contributes towards the basic needs of your horse – feed, hay, farrier, basic vet care and grooming – $100/month;
- A Hay Sponsorship pays for the costs of hay for your chosen horse – $50/month;
- A Vet Sponsorship pays for the cost of basic vet care i.e. dental care and vaccinations – $30/month;
- A Farrier Sponsorship pays for the cost of farrier maintenance for your horse – $20/month;
- A Maintenance Sponsorship pays for the costs of worming and grooming for your horse – $10/month.
Please scroll down to click on the horses currently in our Track to Hack program and read their stories:-